Sunday, May 12, 2013

Youtube variable playback speed (Part 2: my side of the world)

What does my side of the world means?  I have a lot of issues. 8-O lol

First issues: Where is the clip?

So I opted in to be a participant to join the HTML 5 player trial the day before yesterday. After the first clip got uploaded successfully, I clicked on the link youtube provided me with and found myself kept on running into this inescapable message "This video is currently unavailable."

The reality is that the message continued to show after I successfully viewed the clip many a time by finding this clip in my youtube channel... with the URL doing without the "&feature=youtub.be" part.  Then, like now, the error message has gone bye bye and the video is played at that particular URL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXxsCFqAMcY&feature=youtu.be).  Had I not taken this screenshoot, I would have thought that to the beginning of my visual hullucinations. 8-X

And, I also got to play around with the feature of variable playback speeds.


Second issue:  Where on earth is the "Speed menu" that I have seen before?

Now that I saw the first trial working successfully, I came back yesterday to upload the original video that I intended to upload--taking almost 2 hours on the much-slower-than-terabit-internet connection.  Unfortunately, though I did not see the above error message after clicking through the link provided by youtube after the upload was completed (which seems to cast doubt on whether it was simply haphazardly an error independent of the HTML 5 player issue), I simply could not get the "Speed menu" to come up after clicking on the option icon.

It went during my monkeying around did I find out that youtube provides customized menu for users when they right-click on the clip... and it tells you which player the browser is using to play the clip... and it told me that it was using flash player rather than the HTML 5 player.


I thought originally that it might have something to do with the flash plugin, the browser, or HTML 5.  I even disabled the flash plugin on Chrome to see whether it would force HTML 5 player out (we all can dream, right? 8-O lol)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way... you can't simply coerce HTML 5 player to come out... and I came face to face with this other message "The Adobe Flash Player is required for video playback." lol


So, I dropped it like that last night.  Waking up this morning, I decided to do something that's been in the back of my mind.  I disabled ads entirely by unchecking the option "Monetize my video" under editing "info and setting"  (though it also works if you uncheck the "Overlay in-video ads" and TrueView in-stream ads" optons).

Thereafter, I saved the changes and went back to view the clip... finally finding the "Speed Menu" and the phrase "HTML 5 Player" after right-clicking on the clip.



Apparently, youtube did mention it at the trial enrollment page... with lukewarm attitude... so they mentioned..."Some videos with ads are not yet supported (they will play in the Flash player)."

Why don't they simply tell people to disable ads entirely?  Wouldn't it save me much more time?  Also, the reality is that all my clips with ads are not supported.  (The same way you might feel after all the words and screenshots to get to the conclusion that it was all the ads fault... 8-O lol 8-X)

I was so happy because I thought... that'd be it... the end of the variable playback speed chapter... only to realize that... there is more than meets the eyes...

Part I | Part III (The reality about the variable playback speed feature)

1 comment:

  1. If you want your site to be a success on the dark web, the best thing you can do is to get all the links that you can from the best of the marketplaces.
    You can visit our website: dark web links

    ReplyDelete