Sunday, June 7, 2009

What to do when you lost Canon Software CD

I uninstalled a part of Canon software by mistake and decided to take everything off...

When trying to locate the original CD, I found that I couldn't find it...

Then, I decided to look for the software in Canon's website...

Unfotunately, for both the zoombrowser and photostitch, the company provides you only with the updater software... In other words, you would need to have the original software installed on your computer in order for you to install the newer version...

After looking all over on the web, I found a source where one could download the zoombrowser version 2.2 (zoombrsr22). After having the older version installed, I was able to run the updater software and upgrade the zoombrowser to its current version.

However, I would not really recommend this method since there is no telling whether one might be downloading and installing anything more than the zoombrowser program.

At the same time, after I ran the zoombrowser program, I realised that the Photostitch program was still not available and I still need to find the CD to have the stitching component available..

It is then did I found this website, which provides an alternative method to run the updater software when one could not locate the original CD....

Essentially, what one has to do is to create add a key in the registry for the software program one intents to install... Once the appropriate registry key is created, one could run the updater program and have the program installed.

I tried it out for the PhotoStitch program and it worked like wonder!

At the same time, please beware that it is not really recommended as well for one to be playing with the registeries...

So I thought... why doesn't Canon simply make the software programs downloadable so that people who have spent tons of money buying their camera don't have to go through the whole 9-yards trying to figure out what to do to get the software programs back...

No comments:

Post a Comment