Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lenovo thinkpad sl410 ethernet connection problem

This has been something I have to to deal with... might have been since I started using this new babe... Lenovo thinkpad sl410.

Once every so often, my eithernet connection would disappear out of no where... mostly when the machine was first started and, sometimes, when I went away and came back.

Sometimes it would appear as if there is no problem with the Internet connection at all and other times it would show you that there is limited connectivities.

At the beginning, I had a hypothesis... maybe it might have something to do with the Internet connection at home since this is where this machine has been used... could be I am connecting directly to the modem, perhaps?

Regardless, I have found my way to adapt... I would disable the ethernet connection and reconnect.  Sometimes it doesn't solve the problem, so you try again and again and again until it finally works.

Last Thursday, I decided to see whether I could find a better and, perhaps, permanent solution for this connection problem.

Couldn't quite find much info after googling around, to be honest, though I did manage to find the mentioning about "Fixed an issue where the ethernet disappeared after reboot or resume from Standby" at the BIOS update utility page for ThinkPad L410, L510, SL410, SL510.

Ended up, I decided to update the BIOS for this machine... despite of my unwillingness to play with BIOS update, especially when the update was released less than a month and a half ago.

After the BIOS update was first applied, the problem remained that morning... still same old same old... I thought... perhaps, not fixed... Whatever...

Then, every morning since then... Friday, Saturday, Sunday and today... amazing grace... the machine connected smoothly to the Internet through ethernet without my intervention!

No comments:

Post a Comment