Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) failed on Windows 7 and Nvivo

For the longest time, I would be staring at this thing alerting me a new windows update is available.  In addition, when shooting the computer down every night, I would see the machine trying to install some update again and again... night after night...

Somehow, the Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) keeps on failing on me...

I tried all things out... to no avail...

Until yesterday, with some combination of key words, I arriving at either one of these posts...  Miracle: SQL 2005 server security update on Winows... or SQL server 2005 security updates failed and Nvivo...

8-O How did a google search bring me back to Technologies in Ratology? 8-O lol

Then, it occurred to me... no wonder... among the limited number of traffic on this site, SQL server 2005 security updates failed and Nvivo ranked number 5.  This gotta be the way people feel when they landed on my page.

However, I don't have the software with me thus don't want to uninstall Nvivo unless necessary..

After a whole lot of circling around chasing my own tail...

I contacted this friend of mine who gave me the suggestion in the first place...

"Is there a workaround if I don't want to have Nvivo uninstalled."

His reply was... this is the safest way to do it rather than playing with SQL.

So I took the expert opinion and uninstalled Nvivo 8 SP4.

I downloaded the trial Nvivo SP4 software from the website and uninstalled Nvivo SP4.  (Please make sure you take down the license key for your existing copy before uninstallation.  You can get the license number by clicking on Help-> About once you are in the Nvivo program.)

To ensure I really have Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) installed, I went to  Microsoft website to download the standalone installation file and have it manually installed again.

After restarted the computer.  The windows update message no longer shown and that red flag telling you an update will be installed when shutting down also gone.

I, then, reinstalled Nvivo SP4 and did some simple query stuffs with the program.  Seems to be running fine.

When double checking to see whether the update is really installed, I also found KB970892 elegantly sitting among the rest of the updates.

All seems to be fine on the East side...

Two virtues I practiced today... listen to my own suggestion and that of the expert as well... lol

Now I can go look for a husband.  8-O lol

No comments:

Post a Comment