Saturday, November 4, 2023

Centered Chinese punctuation

 I have been trying to translate my books into traditional Chinese. Being a novice in typing in Chinese, I use the Pinging method since the bopomofo method requires the user to be familiar with the bopomofo keyboard. 

Why do I mention this?

These two days, I realized that the Chinese punctuation I typed out and translated via ChatGPT were positioned on the lower left side as opposed to centered. I went back to read some Chinese books and found out it seemed to be the conventional practice for the punctuation to be centered.  

Lower left side example: 然後,佛祖退出了這場沒有白兔的茶會。

Centered example: 然後,佛祖退出了這場沒有白兔的茶會。

After all the googling and ChatGPTing, nobody ever mentioned this issue. Also, the replace feature in Words does nothing when I asked it to replace " 。" with "。".

Just now, I decided to check in Word the specs of the font and realized that all that I had to do is to Change the font to PMingLiU. I selected all and changed the font to PMingLiU and the problem was solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment