Friday, February 24, 2012

How to automatically update MS word table numbers

Encountered this really stupid problem today...  first time I tried to do it in Word 2010..

I had, say, many tables with the table numbers dynamically created by Word with da Insert Caption feature.


So I decided to delete a table.. only to find out that there was no place to click on to update the table numbers automatically.  All things with the "update" word attached to were greyed out.


Ended up, the solutions were simple...

One way to do it is to switch to the print preview and come back to the ordinary view.

Another way to do it is by selecting all texts and press the F9 key.



Voila. My problem solved.

Hope this help you, too!

13 comments:

  1. F9 did not work for me, but the print preview worked like a charm! Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This had been infuriating me for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that it can save you some troubles from now on!

      Delete
  3. How do you do a Print Preview in 2010? If you go to print something, there's a preview right there, but that didn't change any table numbers. I still have a Table 2 followed by Table 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you try F9 as suggested by the first person who commented to the post? See whether it might work!

      Delete
    2. BTW, yes, what you mentioned is how you do a print preview!

      Delete
  4. F9 worked. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A person would spend three lifetimes trying to figure that out. Thanks. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Print preview saved me so much time! I was editing a huge report, and was dreading manually updating 50+ table captions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have also noted that it won't update properly if you are tracking changes. A few of my tables that were 'deleted' still existed in track changes, and so the document thought they were still there. If you accept the change of the deletion of a table then it can truly be deleted - then the table numbers will automatically get renumbered properly.

    ReplyDelete