Sunday, June 26, 2011

Solution for my "Skype video disconnect itself" issue

This has been happening... though... don't quote me... it might have started after I upgraded to the newest version of Skype 5.x.  But, don't quite me for this aging rat's memory ain't so good-- especially when I have only the brain size of a peanut.

Skype voice seems to work fine.  Yet, if I try to use Skype video, I will see the signal strength to decrease gradually until finally the connection is lost.

Yet, the only connection lost is that of Skype because I will be able to send emails and browser internet without any problem.

After googling around, I found that it seems to be a fairly well-known problem amongst Skype users and some of them suspected that this problem might have something to do with the Internet connection. (e.g., http://getsatisfaction.com/skype/topics/slow_connection_speeds_on_skype_despite_high_speed_connection)

Funny enough, it was not after I decide to seek out for a solution for the disconnection problem did I realize that... oops... I thought I had broadband connection while, in reality, the service I subscribed to only gives me up to 1.5 mb/s upload and .25 mb/s download rate... (check your connection speed)

Don't know what skype video think... ain't quite broad enough a bandwidth for myself... lol

That was when I started my whole journal toward a broaderband...

After I contacted Timewarner (my internet service provider) back a couple days ago, one of the customer representatives seemed to have helped me done something to boost the speed up a bit-- though my connection speed was still much within the Road runner range.  Interestingly, from then on, though the signal could drop gradually to having only 2 bars, it doesn't go below it and neither would it show me the "connection lost" screen--- however hard I try--- for the purpose of a screenshot.

Now that my internet service upgrade is completed and my speed is up to faster than 91% of US on average, the skype video seems to work OK after I tried it for the first time today.

A few things I have to say is that:

First, I might have to make a few more skype calls to make sure whether this problem is really resolved.  This is why I say the upgrading of my bandwidth might be a "plausible solution."

Second, there is no telling whether it is the upgrade that did the magic or skype did something on their end to get something fixed.

And, third, if 128Kbps upload and 500Kbps download should be sufficient, and, the problem I have been experiencing with skype video these past few months is really associated with bandwidth, why would I need to upgrade my internet service to a connection speed faster than 91% of US in order to use the free service of video skype?  Unless... Microsoft is gonna turn itself into an internet service provider as well?  8-O

Thank God that, due to the promotional offer I subscribe, I am actually paying less for my Internet services now than before.

P.S. Specs of the machine with Skype video problem
  1. Thinkpad Sl410
  2. Win 7 x64
  3. McAfee
  4. Internal webcam
  5. Road runner basic before: up to 1.5 mp/s download and .25 mp/s upload
  6. Symptoms: The signal strength gets weaker and weaker before it loses connection after skype video gets started
(July 30, 2011 update: Yes... the upgrade in internet connection solved the problem.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey really awesome post and unique content . i like it. good work. keep it up... Visit :- Skype Technical Support Also Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).Wow really fantastic blog and unique content . i like it. good work. keep it up... Visit :- Skype Technical Support Also Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).

    ReplyDelete