Saturday, June 4, 2011

Where on earth is self-timer in Canon Powershot A570 IS?

I got this Canon PowerShot A570 IS back in 2007.  Remains to be a functional camera despite of its propensity to give out that battery low signal.

For years, I tried to find the self-timer feature common to all cameras even those came out before the digital age.  Yet, either it was because I didn't know "self-timer" was the key word to look for or else, I never found it and eventually came to assume such feature, somehow, doesn't exist in this model.

Then, today, my friend with a broken foot wants to take a picture of yours hardly can walk on a cane with my camera in her House of Disability.

I told her... "I don't think this feature exists in this model unless you can find it."

Her obsessive compulsive propensity played out fine!

Voila...

After all these years and after all the fits my father has thrown over not able to take family reunion pictures using the self-timer feature, we finally discovered where on earth this self-timer feature is in Canon Powershot A570 IS.

To use the self-timer feature, you need to be in one of the photo-shooting mode (e.g., Auto, portrait, landscape).  After pressing the Function/Set key on the camera, a set of interactive menu will appear on your LCD screen.

If you select the icon looking like a square in the horizontal menu on the left hand side, the sub-menu of Drive Mode will appear at the bottom.

The camera has a pre-set timer of 10 seconds or 2 seconds; they are indicated by the icon with the number 10 and 2, perspectively.

The last icon in the Drive Mode sub-menu has a letter "c", which stands for "customize" or "customizable."  If you select this function, you will be able to specify length of delay and the number of pictures to take after the delay.

Now that I got it figured out... it seems to be so simple and straightforward.

Yet, don't know about you... both my friend and I agree that... this is one of the worse example of design usability because why don't they simply call it the self-timer?

Might simply be me stupid.  I personally have come to the sub-menu of "Drive Mode" a million and a time but never had it occurred to me- the association between the self-timer needed to take a family reunion picture.

Hope this helps shall someone else having similar problem

7 comments:

  1. Thanks! that is extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent that it helped! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After hours of reading the manual I resorted to the internet. And thanks to you! The self timer is where you said in the drive mode. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sweat! It took me years to figure out where the feature is as well! lol

      Delete
    2. if you press the left arrow of that big button in the center...there you are

      Delete
  4. THANK U SO MUCH FOR FIGURING THIS OUT & SHARING IT!

    ReplyDelete