Sunday, September 5, 2010

What to do if you lost Canon software CD- Win 7 64 bit

Previously, the laptop I was using was running Win XP 32 bit, although I lost the CD, I was able to successfully get the software up and running by installing the update I downloaded from Canon website.

Now that I have changed to a laptop running Windows 6 64 bit, the software again, is not available..

Initially, I had gone through the same process specified in the following site: http://www.adidap.com/2006/11/02/what-to-do-if-you-lost-your-canon-software-cd/



However, when trying to install the update, it was still asking me for the installation CD...


I followed the instruction provided in the page...

First, opened the notepad.  Copied and pasted the following into the document:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOS Utility]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\DPP]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\PhotoStitch
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOS Capture]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]


Saved the file as a registry file... put down the file name CanonUpdate between quotation marks... "CanonUpdate.reg"...


Right-clicked on the CanonUpdate.reg file that I created and select the first item on the drop-down menu "Merge."

When the message prompt you to decided whether you want to go through with the process.. Say "Yes"...


Once you clicked yes, you will be presented with the following pop-up... to tell you that the keys and values have been added to the registry...


Then, I reran the update file downloaded from Canon site again....

Unfortunately, I continued to receive the same error message stating that the installation CD could not be found... (otherwise, I would not be typing these words out, I guess... 8-O lol)

Then, there came this last master level strategy... something took me years of trouble-shooting experiences to crystalize and to perfect...

I restarted the computer.  8-O lol

And, voila... the software successfully installed.

Hopefully, it works for you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment