Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Windows XP on Windows 7

I successfully installed the Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 today after realizing software programs such as Nvivo 8 are not compatible with Windows 7.

After running the Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool, I came to the realisation that the virtualization is not turned on on my computer.

Since it is a Dell Opitiplex 755 I am using, after the computer started up, I pressed F2 key to go into the BIOS setting to turn on Virtualization. Strange enough, it was not until I called up the Dell tech support did I find this word "Performance" listed right before the words "Security". 8-O lol

Of course, after I changed the setting, I turned of the machine and actually unplugged the power stuff before restart... 8-O lol

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx


Anyways, after the hardware virtualization is turned on, I downloaded and installed both the Windows XP mode and Windows Virtual PC.... the remaining was a piece of cake...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Will leave more installation stuffs on Friday...



So far I have only installed the McAfee 8.5 antivirus softeware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software on Windows XP Mode... it is up and running....

Not quite sure whether it is necessary since I have patched up Windows 7 pretty well so far... Yet... the weakest link... might as well get them software installed till further notice...

To make change to the computer name, joining group and domain... it is the same... the OS has to restart before changes become in effect.

So I launched the Windows XP mode by clicking on the start menu-> All Program--> Windows Virtual PC-->Windows XP Mode.

At the same time, software programs installed on Windows XP mode could actually be launched through the Windows 7 program menu inside of the "Windows XP mode applications" folder (which resides inside of the "Windows Virtual PC folder"). It doesn't show you the shortcut to them games under Accessory in XP though... 8-O lol

My feeling so far... Windows XP mode seems to run much slower than Windows 7....

I have use VM ware kinda stuffs before but this is the first time I did it with Windows 7 and xp mode...

Something I did on a perfect day when there ain't no nothing happening the entire day. 8-O lol

Good thing I have not blown up this machine yet. 8-O lol

No comments:

Post a Comment